Sunday, May 29, 2016

Kidneys Are Not Doing Well

Some days I walk into the hospital and Mom will break out into a huge smile. Other days I walk in to very little response at all. Others yet, I walk in and Mom breaks out into tears. Sure, she's happy to see me, but the tears are never happy ones; They are scared ones.
I walked into the hospital around noon yesterday and it was a crying day. I said "Mom, what's wrong?" (Besides the obvious). She said "My kidneys are failing." That sent a serious shock of fear through me.
Her nurse came in a moment later and corrected her; Her kidneys aren't failing--yet. They are, however, stressed. Very stressed. She is not producing much urine at all, and what she is producing is very bloody. Not good.
Her blood pressure is very low. Doctors suspect that her blood is not flowing quickly or strong enough to push blood through the kidneys. She is currently in the ICU with very strong medications working to hopefully raise her blood pressure and  "wake her kidneys back up again." She's been in the ICU almost 24 hours, and if the treatment is working at all it is not yet showing much progress. They have warned us that she may need dialysis to preserve her kidneys. We will know for sure within 24 hours.
The liver and kidneys work closely together. We were told to expect eventual kidney problems, but until now her kidneys have managed to stay in excellent shape, all things considered. That being said, we are feeling pretty blindsided over how quickly even poor health can take a turn for the worst.
As you all can imagine, this is more scary news than we have had to face for some time now. Mom usually smiles at least a little throughout the day...but she hasn't been doing much of that the past day. Most of what I heard her say yesterday is "I'm scared." As the doctors explained the possibility for dialysis and what that entails, she looked at them and begged: "Don't let me die."
As she looked at me and told me how scared she was, I tried to stay strong. I'm not the only one trying to hold myself together and be strong for her. But for the first time in awhile, I couldn't hold the tears back when they wanted to come. All I could do was turn away.
It is not too late for her to get the transplant she needs--the only thing that will save her life. If anyone reading has type O blood and is interested in saving an innocent life, PLEASE: call the Yale transplant line at 866-925-3897.

No comments:

Post a Comment